Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ric Rac

I was reading my friends' posts earlier and Kim's has inspired me to create a new background because her backgrounds ALWAYS look so cute. I just can't decide on the colors or theme for the background that I want to create. I have been looking through all of my digital embellishments and I just had a memory so poignant that I felt like I wanted to share it with you...

Something about my mother that I haven't told very many people: When I was a little girl (back in the 70s and early 80s) my mom used to sew most, if not all, of my clothes. I remember the love and care that she put into her sewing -- the time that she spent and how easy she made it seem. She even used to sew little tags into my clothes, like "Made with Love by Mom" or "Made Especially for You". I LOVED sitting by her sewing machine to watch the foot move up and down as it pulled the fabric through; loved watching her press the newly sewed seams so they would lay flat; watched how she would carefully cut the strings... She always made the most beautiful things and they always looked so professional. I got numerous comments on the quality of the things that I wore.

I always felt like my little sister missed out on an era because my mom lost interest when her machine stopped working. By the time she had the second set of kids, she pretty much lost interest in sewing altogether.

I loved watching my mom sew and I think that I inherited a very small portion of her talent but I just don't have the patience for it. When you have had the best, it is hard to settle for second.

One of my other memories from that time is the big round tin that she used to store extra/loose buttons. I LOVED to play with the extra buttons -- especially because of the way that the the cool buttons felt running through my hands and the sound that they made when they clinked together. I also loved the other things that she had -- the paper patterns; the old ric rac that she used to sew on my shirts or blankets; the needle and thread that she would use to make invisible hems...

I sure wish that someone would make ric rac popular again!

No comments: