Sunday, November 9, 2008

Vampires & Werewolves

I am done with the Meyer series... It was an interesting ride while it lasted. I must say that the 4th book was my favorite, but apparently I don't share the same views as some of my other friends. My brother-in-law couldn't figure out the validity of a vampire having the ability to "do it" because vampires don't have blood for the flow to a certain part of the vampire anatomy. I told him that the mechanics really didn't matter to me. It just added a little "zest" to the story and that I really didn't focus on that part anyway! To me, the ending of a story is just as important as the beginning -- usually I will read the last couple of pages of a book before reading the entire book. If I like the way it ends I figure I can put up with the method of writing to get there.

Ms. Meyer's writing style certainly improved throughout the four books. I had such a hard time getting into the first one. It was a bit "choppy" in parts and I didn't have the luxury of reading the last couple of pages of the series because I didn't have all the books. I figured that I already started the 1st book so I needed to finish it out of morbid curiosty -- and to see what all the hype was about.

The second book was definitely the saving grace for me, and the reason I decided to read all four. She must have had someone else help to edit the stories. It was not as choppy as the first.

The third book was good, but the ending left me wanting more -- I was glad that I read the last three books in order instead of waiting for the release of the fourth book like my sister had to do.

I wonder if she will end up releasing a 5th book in the series. A while back I remember glancing at something in the news regarding a 5th book that had been compromised by another person leaking it, and that the author was basically throwing a "tizzy fit" about that. I hadn't even started the series (it seems) and I remember thinking about how ridiculous her actions were. Most people in the world don't "steal" books before they are released so she could still release it to the rest of the world... Then again, I don't really know where she could take the story. The fourth book pretty much explained it all -- I didn't feel like I was left with any "open ends".

5 comments:

going gordon said...

I am so glad you liked the books. They are so fun. Shall I get you a tshirt for cmas that says: "Team Edward- because Jacob doesn't sparkle" ? : D There are lots of different ones out there. Let me know which one... See you Thurs? My house or yours?

Journey Rocks! said...

How funny! I will have to spend a couple of months thinking about WHICH one I want -- I'll have to carefully consider the options (ha ha ha).... I will have to get back with you on the Thursday thing.?

Jena Harper said...

Hey! I found your blog! Lol
-Jena

Pat said...

I think the ideal shirt would be one that says "Oh, just bite me" LOL
I enjoyed the books too - I would have picked Jacob myself...

Journey Rocks! said...

How about Pat's idea, Kim? That would make a great shirt! (LOL)