Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas Books

I was just thinking about holiday traditions. I can't really remember all that many from my youth unlike my husband's family who seem to have hundreds. My older brother would probably remember some horrible scene that our biological father would pull each and every year, like taking the engine out of a car and ticking my mom and all the neighbors off, or knocking his (my brother's) head off for leaving one of his (our dad's) most prized and precious tools outside to rust in the weather. Combine those memories with all the years I spent working for a retail store with all the commercialism and grumpiness associated with the season -- who could blame me for saying that it wasn't my favorite time of year?

However, one tradition that I do like about my current situation is what I will refer to as the "Christmas Book" tradition. My hubby and I decided very early on in our marriage that we would buy a Christmas book each year. I absolutely love children's books -- the colors, the pictures, the stories. We pack these MANY books away with the Christmas ornaments and other various accouterments and pull them out with the decorations once a year to enjoy each day of the holiday season.

One of my personal favorites is THE CHRISTMAS STORY. I can't wait to read about Ralphie and his exploits again. Maybe, just maybe, I will get my husband to re-enact part of the story by sticking his tongue on a cold light pole this year. (JUST KIDDING if you are reading this!) My other favorite is THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER. My mom actually located the televised version of this story (from the early 80's) on DVD last year so it was fun to watch the story in addition to reading the book.



Another tradition that we started the year we bought our first CD player was the purchase of a new holiday CD. A few days ago I bought Harry Connick, Jr.'s, WHAT A NIGHT!. It has been fun to listen to his music again...

This year I think I might start a new holiday tradition: creating my own ringtone for the cell phone by using a holiday song. I created one from Handel's Messiah last night (Hallelujah!) and I told my guy that I am going to use that one as his personal ringtone because it is a miracle whenever he calls me...

We will have to think of some new tradition for next year. Maybe, for my brother's sake, I will leave one inherited tool out in the weather to rust away throughout the year. No one else has time to use them these days. ;)

What to do, oh, what to do...........................

2 comments:

going gordon said...

I love Christmas books too and try to buy one per year as well. What is this passion for books that we share? I guess you didn't get out of having the cmas party at your house again. Is that okay? I love to come to your house anyway. Hope you have a great thanksgiving...

Pat said...

I've been collecting Christmas books too. Nothing makes me madder than when hubby puts them away with the Christmas stuff! ...I like to look at them all year.