Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Revelation!

It rocks, that's all I can say! I was so excited to put the CD on my iPod and turn the volume up. It literally gave me the chills when the music first started to play... I can't wait until the concert this summer!

Edited a few days later:
1. Never Walk Away
2. Like a Sunshower
3. Change for the Better
4. Wildest Dream
5. Faith in the Heartland
6. After All These Years
7. Where Did I Lose Your Love
8. What I Needed
9. What it Takes to Win
10. Turn Down the World Tonight
11. The Journey (Revelation)


The first song is one of my favorites: Never Walk Away
I will be singing this one in my mind for weeks to come, "Will she come or will she stay..." They performed this one at the concert in Vegas so I was expecting and anticipating this one.

The next song: Like a Sunshower
This one shows how well Arnel can do a sweet, romantic ballad. Neal did a great thing when he discovered Mr. Pineda on YouTube!

Love how 'Change for the Better' starts out -- although the first few measures of the song sounds a bit like something that may have happened on a Van Halen song.

'Wildest Dream' is another oldie but goodie from the Vegas concert. It rocks!

I had a slight feeling of disappointment when they re-did 'Faith in the Heartland' because that is a Steve Augeri sound through and through -- my husband pointed out that it was a great tribute to have something co-written by my favorite Journey singer on this album. Arnel did a good job with this one, but Steve Augeri still rocks it in my heart... Despite that, I'm okay with the "Revelation" version, now. ;)

They performed 'After All These Years' in Vegas, too. Look out 'Open Arms' -- there is a new love song on my iPod. :)

'Where Did I Lose Your Love' -- great guitar & drums! This is a song that will sound good with the volume turned up on my way to work in the mornings!

'What I Needed' is another soulful ballad. Arnel is great on this one, too! I love how it changes key at the first chorus. It is very "catchy". It is also another GREAT Neal Schon sound ~ a bit reminiscent of the earlier Journey sound (Neal's Afro days).

I like 'What it Takes to Win' -- but to be honest, I think I will need to listen to it a few more times before I can comment on it.

'Turn Down the World Tonight' makes me want to go up to my room and snuggle with my hubby in the down Duvet on a chilly night... ;)

Neal excels on 'The Journey (Revelation)'. It reminds me a lot of his solos at concerts -- and God only knows I don't get to experience them often enough!!! (Spoken/Written like the true Journey fanatic that I am!)


Not much can be said about the second disc in the "Revelation" set -- the Greatest Hits speak for themselves. I don't mean any disrespect to the band, but Steve Perry rocked these songs and although Augeri & Pineda do a great imitation in concerts, it was a bit strange to think that someone else was singing a recorded version of the "Dirty Dozen". I personally love the entire Journey experience. Whether it was pre-Perry or post-Perry, it's all about the Band. I know that the majority of concert-goers probably still think Steve Perry is with the band and want to hear the Greatest Hits, but as for me, I love to hear their new stuff. Neal Schon is my musical idol and I love any music that he has been involved with so far, and I look forward to hearing more. I hope that he keeps it up!


The DVD was SO COOL ~ it was great to see the part of the stage that we missed because the recording equipment was directly in front of us at the Vegas concert. It was fun to be able to watch Deen in action on TV because the camera blocked our original view of the middle of the stage. He is a "monster" on the drums -- I wish I had even half of his energy!


In case I haven't convinced you, about how great the new album is, check out the band's new sound at the Wal-Mart site: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9864208
YOU may become a true Journey believer if you're not already one. ;)


Keep on Rocking!

No comments: