Thursday, July 3, 2008

Some days are diamonds...

Today was the stone... It was a really bad day. Not that it matters to anyone other than me, but...

It all started out when I woke up late. I had to rush my morning routine. Then, after scurrying around the kitchen trying to get everything rounded up to take to work, I happened to glance into the box that *held* our four tiny chicks to notice that the last surviving one was as dead as a doorknob. The poor little baby had keeled over and its poor little eye was still open.

If that wasn't bad enough, I missed the line of cars in the construction zone (on a two-way highway that has been temporarily turned into one lane) and had to wait for 17 minutes before I was able to put the car in gear and get to work. As I was waiting in line, a propane truck pulled up behind my vehicle and the driver got out with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth... With the crappy morning that I just had, I seriously wondered if I should say my last prayer -- and keep my fingers crossed that the propane truck didn't have a leak.

To top it all off, they changed part of my job function at work. Please know that I am not complaining about my job because I truly enjoy what I do, but just like any other major change it will take me a while to get used to the new pathways and procedures. I am a bit "OC" in the fact that I like to be able to be organized and efficient; to do my job, do it well, and do it quickly. This new pathway is a bit different to get used to -- I am hoping that I will be able to succeed at it sometime in the near future.

I planned to get off work at 1:00 this afternoon, but I didn't get to leave until about 2:00 -- I wanted to finish off a case so I wouldn't have to pick it up in the morning and try to remember what I was working on the day before... I got home to start my husband's somewhat *desperate* plea to water the new sod that he spent all weekend laying, to discover that the mosquitoes nearly ate me alive while I was moving the garden hose around.

I got into the house to get a somewhat *desperate* phone call from one of my kids asking me to "water the chicken" so he won't get too hot and die like the little chick. I went outside to take care of that little task, to be reminded of my poor old dog with a cancerous growth on her body that needs to be put down; another story for another crappy day...

If that wasn't bad enough, I got a phone call from my mother who just *happened* to mention that my grandmother was feeling better today -- and by the way, "didn't [she, meaning my mother] tell [me] that Grandma went into the hospital last Tuesday and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure?" (Oops. She must have forgotten to include me in that important little detail, like she has many times in the past...)


I should mention that it is 1:52 in the morning. My attitude has not really improved and I am still awake and in the middle of a MAJOR anxiety attack. If I know myself as well as I do, I won't be able to fall asleep for at LEAST another two or three hours, so I will probably wake up late and start the crappy day thing all over again.

Thank God for Friday holidays. I have a feeling that I will need an extra day to recuperate from this week..........................................

1 comment:

Julie Stevenson said...

This story deserves a comment. I'm sorry you had a rotten day. Some days are just a waste of lip gloss, agreed? Love ya, Julie