Monday, July 14, 2008

In pain...

I returned to the orthopedic surgeon's office this morning (at 7:05) and didn't limp out until 12:37. It was a long wait with an extremely impatient husband -- due to an unexpected accident involving a motorcycle rider and the need for a surgeon.

I had really anticipated this appointment -- it was the day that he removed the hardware previously installed during surgery: a 2-inch pin and 1 1/2-inch screw. His assistant led me to believe (three weeks prior to this appointment) that I would walk out of there wearing a regular shoe. Instead, much to my dismay, the pain I have experienced since the numbing medicine has worn off has been extremely intense. I took a "mind-altering" prescribed pill that worked for about an hour before I got really sick to my stomach. Ugh! I hope to never again have to take that crap -- I think I will stick to Tylenol.

The doctor confirmed my belief on many things during this appointment -- I definitely received conflicting information from his assistant throughout the numerous follow-up appointments. Luckily, I was very careful with my foot and the way I walked, so I didn't break the screw that was holding the metatarsal together.

One good thing, I believe that I have a greater range of motion in foot. I won't be able to start wearing a real shoe for about four days, and even at that, I will have to slowly ease my way into wearing it due to the swelling from this recent surgery.

No comments: