Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dear Grandma

Dear Grandma K,
On the day that you died, you took a little piece of our hearts.
On the day that you died, the wind blew like it would not quit.
On the day that you died, I witnessed one of the sweetest things that I have ever been privy to in my life -- the love that your sweetheart has for you after 70+ years of marriage. I want to end my life with the knowledge that my love was as sweet and strong and lasted as long as yours. You truly lived a blessed life.

As we looked at your tired, worn-out body, we knew that you were finally free. Free from the pain and suffering that has been such a big part of your life for far too long. Free to meet your loved ones after many years apart -- what a sweet reunion that must have been. (Say "hi" to Bill for me, will ya?)

Even though I only spent the last 20 of my 39 years in your family, I always felt as if you welcomed me into your life. I was always proud of the compliments that you gave me and that you trusted me with your grandson, whom I know was special to you from the first days of his life.

I will always cherish the quilts that you lovingly sewed by hand. And I will make certain to let my children keep your legacy alive.

I love you, Grandma K. I hope that peace will be with you and especially with Grandpa. I find comfort in the fact that time heals wounds and that this searing pain will pass...

2 comments:

going gordon said...

i was so sorry to hear about her death. she was one of the sweetest ladies i'd ever met. each of my children have a quilt she made. my mom was addicted to her quilts and bought each of her grandkids one. she was an amazing lady.

Journey Rocks! said...

Thank you, Kim. :)