Friday, March 6, 2009

I'm just a bill...

I went with a large group of school kids to the state capitol and to the zoo today. I was really excited about the trip and I have to admit that I was not disappointed. I don't think I have ever actually taken a tour of my state capitol building, although I did get to attend a prom there at one point in time.

One of the tour guides recognized the symbol on my jacket and we got into a short conversation. Turns out that he and I worked for the same place at one time (different locations) and I remember talking to him via phone on many occasions. It really is a small world.

I don't think the children were all that interested in the lawmakers themselves, or the actual process, but they were absolutely fascinated by the building and the way it was decorated.

I actually learned a couple of things on this tour. One was regarding what the phrase "pass the bar" literally means. I had no idea because I am not really all that interested in the law process -- shocking, I know. (As long as it doesn't affect us negatively, of course.)

One of the children on the trip was all to familiar with the location of the courthouse -- that was a little disconcerting. I couldn't help but wonder what has been going on in his or his parents' lives to know that location...


The zoo was as scintillating as ever (do you sense a touch of sarcasm in that statement?). I was pleased that the kids were very well behaved. We all agreed that it was a little difficult to decide which was our favorite animal. I don't know if the teacher noticed what was happening between two animals in one exhibit, but I think these kids were a bit too young for the maturation discussion!

It was a cold day, but we survived. The teachers warned all of the children and parents to dress their kids in warm clothing. I was amazed at how many children were wearing thin jackets or none at all. (What a bunch of nut heads -- myself included because the one that went with me left a jacket on the school bus.)


All afternoon this song from my childhood has been playing over and over and over again in my head:

I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill.
Well, it's a long, long journey
To the capital city.
It's a long, long wait
While I'm sitting in committee,
But I know I'll be a law someday
At least I hope and pray that I will,
But today I am still just a bill.

No comments: