Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Thank You!

You know... I am not an overly religious person but sometimes I have to sit back and look at life and thank Heaven above for whomever has been watching over me and for the warnings or blessings that I have been given.

For example, I made my way home on the slick road in the snow and dark later than I planned tonight and for some reason I felt that I needed to take it slow. About half-way home, my foot didn't seem so heavy and I noticed that I was slowing down to about 45 -- much slower than my average speed. For no reason at all, in a split second, something happened to the truck going the other direction. As we passed each other, I noticed a very large animal laying down in the middle of the road. It had just been hit and it was moving around as if it were trying to get up. I felt sick that the poor thing was in obvious pain and I felt sick that the truck going the other direction had to be the one to hit it. Yet, I am so grateful that it wasn't me.

Another time, many years ago, I was going through a narrow canyon in the winter -- on my way to the "Big City" to pick up my husband who had just graduated from "Grad School". I had the radio turned up, listening to one of my favorite (at the time) Brooks & Dunn songs, when I got the strongest feeling -- it "told" me to slow down and pull over at the next junction. It was really weird and instinctively I KNEW that I didn't have the option to ignore the warning... As I slowed down, the car behind me (who had been following pretty close) slowed down and swerved a bit to the left as I made my turn. Just as the person in that car pulled back into a normal position in the lane, another car going the opposite direction was illegally passing on a double line. He BARELY missed the guy that had been behind me -- he nearly rolled his car and the tires were smoking. I know, without a doubt, that if I had not slowed my car down and pulled over I would have been killed that night. I would have been hit head on and the car who had been following too close down the canyon would have crashed into me.

A couple of years ago, early in the morning, a car swerved into the lane directly in front of me and rolled her car. I don't think I will ever forget the sight of that roll. I was the first person to get to the woman's car but I felt so helpless because it was laying on the driver's side and there was NO WAY that I could get to her to offer assistance. Once again, who knows what kept me back a few seconds that morning, but I am very grateful that I "listened". There is more to the story on who the person was and how I knew her as an acquaintance but I can't mention it here. I can say, that a week or so later I had another strong urge to contact her to find out how she was doing. She was at a pretty low point in her life and I am grateful that I followed up on my urge to call her...

I am so thankful to be alive and I think I will continue to knock-on-wood and say my prayers to ask for safety for myself, my family and my friends.

1 comment:

going gordon said...

Wow! I feel like I was just at testimony meeting. Don't tell me you aren't religious. Those are amazing experiences and that you realize they weren't just 'coincidences' is a great thing. You are such an amazing person! No wonder you have a guardian angel.

ps have you seen sherlock holmes yet? I loved it!