What a ride this past three weeks have been... I don't remember a time when I have EVER been this busy! My first two weeks as Supervisor were spent wearing two hats -- my old job and the new. My last week was spent trying to acclimate myself to being a supervisor. I have had a LOT of eye-opening experiences and a LOT of "A HA" moments. I've become very humbled at some of the pathways where I used to grumble but now that I am on "the other side" they make sense. I've discovered an added patience and tolerance that I hoped I had. I've hurt the feelings (unintentionally) of a couple of people that are really important to me. (That was only during the first week...) And most of all -- I am really tired all the time!
On the flip side, it is looking like I may only be a supervisor for about six months. "They" are restructuring the department and they have asked members of management to interview for a supervisor position in the new division. Part of the "cost savings" of this includes less management, thus not all supervisors will be hired for the same type of job. Because I am the low man on the totem pole, I don't really think I have a chance at being one in six months -- which is SERIOUSLY okay with me. I found out about the change a half hour before my interview last month so I accepted this assignment with the knowledge that it may end up like that. I will interview again and go through the motions, but if they decide to let me do my old job again -- at the higher pay rate -- I will be just fine. I seriously thought/hoped that I would be able to do that job for the rest of my working career, anyway. I can already tell that this six month "stint" will help me to be a better worker in the long run...
The absolute WORST part about this new job is the loss of time that I have to spend with the important people in my life. I know that things will get better and this is just a small "blurp" in life, but the initial time away is *killing* me. We will adjust, but it just takes time.
Hobbies? Gone. I have found that I am not on the computer or reading a book nearly as often. Thank goodness for the Blackberry so that I can at least keep in touch via e-mail when I have a spare moment...
Sleep? Gone. I still can't get to bed at a decent hour but now I can't take an afternoon nap. Bummer.
My two life mottos are still strong:
1) Things in life always happen for a reason, although it may take a while before you figure out that reason.
2) As a self declared pessimist, I am always pleasantly surprised when things turn out for the better.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I am glad things are looking better for you. I didn't know what to do when I looked on here and you hadn't blogged anything. I felt alone! I hope things slow down for you soon so you do book night again. Let me know when it is a possibility. I don't want you to think I am hounding you about it, so I will leave you to determine the schedule. <3 ya, Kim
Post a Comment