Monday, August 6, 2012

Potatoes!

You say potato, I say "Potatoes Au Gratin" tonight... 

My in-laws sent me home with some fresh produce from their garden the other day, which included some very pretty red-skinned potatoes.  I have been thinking about these potatoes all day long and CRAVING Au gratin style, so guess what I am cooking tonight?!?

I don't have a secret family recipe, and to tell the truth, I had to pull out my trusty smart phone while shopping at the store to remember how to make them.  I found what is panning out to be the very best Au gratin recipe that I have ever attempted.

-----------------------------------------

1.  A BUNCH of potatoes -- I don't know how many, but it was enough to slice and fill a casserole dish.
2.  1 Red Onion -- I really like the flavor and color of red onions.
3.  A touch of salt & pepper

After cutting the potatoes and onions into "thinnish" pieces, I layered them in a random way in the greased casserole dish. In a separate pan, I cooked

4.  4 tablespoons butter, melted and hot
6.  4 tablespoons flour
6.  A tiny bit of salt
7.  1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic

I constantly stirred the butter & flour mixture until it boiled for one full minute, then I added

8.  2 cups milk

I cooked & stirred until this mixture thickened, then I added

9.  2 cups grated, smoke flavored cheese -- the recipe itself seemed a little bland so I splurged on the cost of the smoked cheese (yum!)

I cooked & stirred this mixture until all the cheese melted. Then I poured the mixture over the layers of sliced potatoes & onions.  Covered the dish with foil, then baked at 400-degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

I'm sure that I could somehow figure out the fat and calorie content, but to be honest... they are so good that I don't really care.  

---------------------------

I plan to serve these yummy potatoes with chicken that I boiled in the pressure cooker.  (My favorite kitchen pan is my pressure cooker!) 

:)

1 comment:

Lib said...

Those sound yummy! Brad's favorite is red onions too :) I think it is best to leave it unknown on what the count is on calories and stuff as long as it taste good. Anything home made is better then going to McDonalds.