Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cancer Free @ Mom's House

We had a HUGE scare this past month.  My mom received a medical diagnosis that may or may not have cancer associated with it.  She got the test results back on Thursday and she does NOT have cancer.

Woo Hoo!!!

I cannot even begin to describe the relief that I feel at this time. 

I feel like I have been walking around in a fog the past few weeks because so many horrible memories came tumbling back at me from taking care of my dad and everything that he went through.  I am so relieved that my mom won't have to start treatments.


Now, if we could just get my cute little Grandma fixed... 

Her dementia is taking over at a rapid pace.  The little idiosyncrasies that have defined her in the past are becoming more strange.  She seems to be reverting back to her 20's or teenage years.  She is making secret "plans" to sell her place and move to Minnesota to be with her friends and family (who, coincidentally have all passed away); and the rest of us are hoping that she doesn't get on a bus and take off without telling anyone some day.  She doesn't want anyone coming over anymore, or eating at her house.  She is walking around the yard in her nightgown pulling weeds.  She is turning off the air conditioner and furnace.  She is becoming argumentative and is free to lash her tongue at the people who watch over her.  And my personal favorite... she told my mom that her body does not need food like normal people; she is okay to live on ice cream, cheese, Ensure and chocolate bars.

The saddest part is that I believe she doesn't realize that something is wrong -- or she is not willing to admit it.  She told my mom the other day that "at least she still had her mind" when they were talking about other people her age who had a lot of physical problems.

1 comment:

going gordon said...

So so glad for you and your mom! What a relief. The demensia is hard too, though. My mom started in with it before she passed away. She even forgot my birthday the last year, which just was NOT her. I'll pray for you and your family.