Saturday, August 27, 2011

Apology

I think we have entered another dimension:  The economy. The earthquake along the east coast. The hurricane with the predicted "100 year storm" looming. And, something closer to home (my home, that is).

A couple of days ago, we receive a plain white envelope in the mail -- addressed to us. We opened it, despite my husband's bad feeling (no thanks to the episode of NCIS that he watched the night before from a DVR recording where the character opened a plague-ridden envelope).

The contents absolutely amazed AND surprised us. It left us with a feeling of wonderment and I have played that feeling over and over in my mind since reading that letter.

I never thought I would blog about this because I have tried to put this sleeping monster in the past where it belongs... Many of you already know that there are a group of men in my town that I consider to be my archenemies. Many were, at one time admired, but due to circumstances that I don't want to rehash right now (circumstances that robbed me of my happy life for at least five years), I lost all respect for and have pretty much shaped the way I feel about local government and my religion. There are times when I have to look away or turn the other direction when I see these people around town because the thought of seeing them still makes me sick to my stomach.

Well, the letter contained almost a full page of an apology by one of the people involved. It has been too long in the works (about 10 years), but I am glad that he was able to do this for us. I don't know that I will ever be able to forget what the actions were or how they made me feel, but at least I will probably be able to look him in the eye now.

4 comments:

Karla said...

: )

Lib said...

I'm amazed!

Mimi said...

That is so amazing. I am glad that this person could do this for you too. I am sure it was not easy after so many years, but I also know it must have done him as much good to sit down and write this apology as is did for you to read it. So so happy for you and glad you opened the ominous envelope and were able to received this, even if somewhat small... for lack of a better word, gift.
:) Love you guys!

going gordon said...

Wow. That is pretty cool. I'm sure glad it wasn't the plague...