Friday, January 14, 2011

What would you do if this were your last day on earth...

I was just thinking about something that happened to me when I was a teenager...

My mom picked me up from school one day and she was in an especially interesting mood. She was especially kind to me and if I remember, she took me to a special place for a treat. I remember how weird it was -- totally out of character for her.

When we pulled into the driveway, she pulled out a note that I had written that morning and I could tell that she was extremely anxious and very concerned...

The contents of the note?

To her, it must have looked like a suicide note. To me, it was just the assignment that my seminary leader had given earlier in the day. My class had to write individual notes about what we would do if this were my/our last day on earth.

Frankly, I don't remember what I wrote. I probably talked about how much I loved my family. I probably talked about what a great life I had so far. It probably had something to do with the fact that I wanted to see a Duran Duran show or marry Simon le Bon (yes -- I was only a young teenager at the time.) But I do remember the relief that my mom had when I ASSURED her that it wasn't something I had done with the intent of ending my existence.


Every now and then that story reappears in my memory. I have been thinking about it a lot this afternoon so what better place to write about it? In my blog.


Frankly, I hope that this is not my last day on earth...

I woke up this morning to the barking of the irritating dog. I walked into the kitchen to view one of the worst messes that I have ever seen left over from my roommates that morning. I've had to spend most of the day cleaning AND doing laundry and vacuuming and nearly everything else that I hate. On top of that, I just feel plain grumpy.

However, *if* this was my last day, I would have preferred to spend it with my family and friends. Sharing stories of times gone by. Taking pictures. Creating memories. Writing letters to leave for the people I love. Listening to my favorite music. Petting the dogs. Snuggling with my peeps.

If this were your last day, how would you spend it?

1 comment:

going gordon said...

love this post!

i would do things very similar to you (guess we're not friends for nuthin'), but i would also go out to eat and then eat as many hot fudge sundaes and brownie a la modes as i wanted. :) is that shallow?