Monday, May 12, 2014

Dedicated to all who get to live their dreams...

I saw the funniest thing the other day and I am going to do my best to describe the events based on my interpretation…  As a little precursor to the story, it is important to explain that every Spring we allow a local farmer use of the field for his herd of sheep.  You should also know that I know absolutely nothing about sheep other than the fact that they drink a lot of water, eat my favorite plants when they sneak into the yard which happens numerous times per day, and they poop; not just a little, they poop a lot.  The sheep are not all bad, though, they are very entertaining and most of the time the little babies are down-right cute so I look forward to spending time with them every year...

On Friday I decided to spend a rare, quiet evening with the TV and a DVD so I was in the dark room with the volume turned up watching one of the exciting parts of the movie “Deep Impact” when my dogs started barking like c-r-a-z-y.  I immediately went outside and saw that the little husky-mix was pointing toward the back field and barking frantically.  She *rarely* exudes this type of behavior so I got a little worried.  I ran to the back yard and noticed a guy running around the field chasing the sheep.  I thought it was a little weird, and to be honest, I don’t really know what all of the farmer’s family members look like so I thought that maybe they were rounding up the sheep for something unknown to the non-farmer in me.  I watched him for a little bit of time and noticed that the sheep were running around in a tight circle in the middle of the field.  It seemed a little strange so I went to the front yard to see if I could gain a better perspective of what was happening.  I noticed the cutest little “Scottie” (Scottish Terrier) herding the sheep by chasing them around in a circle.  The little dog looked like it was having the time of his life – prancing around with ease and barking its head off – and giving the appearance of a well-practiced herder. 

I still thought it was a little strange because I didn’t see the farmer’s trailer so I went into the back yard just in time to see the little dog get caught and reprimanded by the guy that had been chasing him.  I yelled out, “HEY!  WHAT’S GOING ON HERE?!?”  To my surprise the guy said that they were sitting in his car when the little dog jumped out and started chasing the sheep.  I could tell the guy was extremely embarrassed (and now that I know what happened, I don’t blame him for being embarrassed) so I tried to ease the situation by telling him that watching his pampered house pet herding those sheep (that were five times the little dog's size) like a pro had to be one of the most spectacular and funniest things that I have ever seen…  Too bad it was all just because the little dog was being naughty.


So… here is to the people (of all shapes, numbers of legs, and sizes) who get to live their dreams.  I bet that little dog will be chasing (not counting) sheep for months in his dreams.   



1 comment:

Lib said...

That is so funny!