Instead of starting out with the good things -- or the bad -- I think I will share my most embarassing experiences of the week:
1. Tonight, I managed to jump out of the SUV and land flat on my you-know-what. This wouldn't have been so bad if I had an excuse, like snow or ice. But no, I managed to do this on gravel and IN FRONT of my friends who had just parked their van next to my vehicle. Needless to say, my pride is a little damaged. (Hopefully the Tylenol will kick in soon.)
2. A short while later: same family -- I asked one of the older kids if he had worn that costume at school earlier in the day. He gave me "that look" and said, "No, I graduated two years ago." And I looked and him and seriously thought, "WTF? Where in the you-know-what has the past two years gone?" I knew he had graduated -- how did that slip out? And more importantly, why did that question pop out of my mouth?
I am seriously beginning to question my sanity. Next thing you know, I will be posting my blog experiences from the funny farm -- assuming they let me out of the straitjacket long enough to type on a keyboard.
Earlier in the day, I got to watch the local elementary school kids parade around the park near our neighborhood. I absolutely LOVE when kids get to dress up in their costumes -- some are so well-thought-out, and some are not. As a matter of fact, when I was watching some of the kids get ready for the parade and I asked one child what he was going to dress up as. He told me, "My mom just didn't have the money to buy me a costume this year." I work with a lot of very poor people/grown-ups and I hear a lot of very sad, heart wrenching stories and I often wish I could do more to help, but I am never really prepared when a child tells me that they don't have money for food or costumes -- this one broke my already fragile heart today, so we rushed home to pick up some stuff that we had "laying around" so that this little boy could dress up and feel important like the other kids. It brought a tear to my eye to see how proud he was to be a Mad Scientist's Assistant. (I think next year I am going to pack a few extra things in the car before I go to the parade -- I want to be more prepared.)
This is a BIG BIRTHDAY month for our family as a whole. I had the best celebration with my brother last week. We just don't get many opportunities to celebrate now that our step-father is dead. I sure wish things were different...
PS: In case anyone wants to know, I haven't located a "Boardwalk" for the McD's Monopoly game yet so don't plan on any big cash Christmas gifts this year from me... I keep hoping, though! LOL
PSS: I think I have entered an alternate universe.
Friday, October 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
i love your embarrassing moments. so glad i am not the only one to stick my foot in my mouth! your kiddos looked great yesterday.
on another point: i wonder if we could set up a costume station on the parade day, where kids who don't have anything, could come and there could be some adults there to help? i know people would contribute. i'll have to check into that. it breaks my heart to see kids not participating when you know they are dying to. :(
Well I hope that this stunt didn't end up like the one on the stairs where you ended up having to get your foot done. My day off was great..blue skies. Glad that it was on my day off and not when I was stuck at work :)
Post a Comment